1. Rosemary oil for Hair Rosemary essential oil helps to speed up growth of hair. People who want their hair to grow a bit faster can make use of rosemary essential oil. Add 6 - 8 drops of rosemary essential oil in a shampoo ( preferably herbal shampoo ) and rinse the scalp with it. After washing the hair, massage the scalp with a warm hair oil, like jojoba oil or coconut oil which has few drops of rosemary essential oil. This two step treatment done at home can help one achieve longer hair in lesser time. Applying rosemary essential oil on the scalp is helpful in regrowing hair on bald patches in Alopecia areata . In a study, 84 people rubbed rosemary essential oil and some other ones like lavender, sage etc in smaller amounts on their scalp, while few others were placebo. People who applied the essential oils experienced improvement in terms of regrowth of hair over bald scalp. It is believed that this effect is primarily due to rosemary essential oil. This hair growth effect may take time to show up and it really varies from person to person as to when the closed hair roots will spring back to life. Rosemary essential oil helps in preventing fungal scalp infections ( which often lead to hair loss ) like tine capitis , dissolving away dandruff and reduces scalp pimples ( these are quite common ). In fact, many people lose lot of hair when a large pimple oozes fluid. Scalp acne or pimples should be taken seriously. Do not use rosemary essential oil undiluted on scalp. Dilute it in a carrier oil. 2. Rosemary oil for skin Rosemary oil should be applied by adding 4 drops of this essential oil in about 20 ml of carrier oil. Dilution is necessary when using rosemary oil. Perform a mild massage on the skin with this oil and let it get soaked into the skin. These are the uses and health benefits of rosemary oil for skin.
- Reduces Saggy Skin - Rosemary oil is an astringent. When applied on the skin, it pulls the skin cells together as though trying to shrink or compress them. This effect reduces sagging in skin and makes it stronger and more supple.
- Reduces any kind of marks or scars - Add rosemary oil and vitamin E to carrier oil. This combination helps to reduce the visibility of stretch marks, acne scars and scars created by cuts, scrapes and wounds. It also reduces wrinkles and fine lines.
- Protect the skin from free radicals - Rosemary essential oil has strong antioxidant capacity. It thus defends the skin cells from damage by free radicals in our environment.
- Apply on insect bites - Once the sting of an insect bite reduces, there is still lots of swelling left. One generally applies ice on this. However, applying some rosemary essential oil can reduce the swelling and the redness of the bite.
- Treat fungal skin infections - Rosemary essential oil can be applied directly to fungal infections , like athlete's foot and ringworm. One can use it undiluted ( neat ) for stronger power.
- For dermatitis and eczema - In these conditions, skin is irritated and itchy. Add aloe vera gel, rosemary essential oil in a beeswax base and apply only on eczema lesions. This combination is completely natural and relieves itching. This may also work for psoriasis.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.